2016 Safety kits and first-aid refresh

Greetings all. I had occasion to discover just how under-equipped/under-prepared my on-board first aid kit is today. Got me to thinking of a good positive response to the situation.

Is there any interest in our little community for hosting a quick/easy, four-hour field first-aid workshop?

I’m thinking it should be pretty easy to get some of our local paramedics or fire medics to give us a few hours of continuing ed for the cost of some pizza and cold drinks.

Would also be a good opportunity for us to collectively review our on-board first aid kits to see if we all have the same gear, and if not, find a way to get us all up to an acceptable level of preparedness.

I’m willing to do some shopping at our local med-supply stores with the intention of procuring a somewhat standardized first-aid kit that will easily fit in our gear-pockets. I’ll get a price for a package deal that would contain more/better/non-expired supplies like:

• clean roll of sufficiently sized med-tape
  • some stretchy-wrap
  • rolls of curlix
  • 4x4 gauze pads in quantity
  • half-liter bottles of saline?
  • squeeze-tube of anti-bacterial (Neosporin or Betadine?)
  • sharpie pens
  • trauma shears
  • t.p.
  • plastic wrap
  • chill-packs
  • glucose tube
  • antihistamine pills
  • semi-soft box/bag container to hold it all.

Suggestions? Am I leaving anything out?

I’m thinking enough stuff for one moderate event. Small enough to conveniently carry in our gear, with enough supplies to adequately manage the situation and take care of our brothers until we can get them off the hill or into the local E-Care center.

My issue with commercially available kits never have enough of anything you need, and never enough of what’s relevant to us. If we can put a volume package together, custom kit designed by us and for us, then we’ll all know what everyone has and be ready for the occasional worse-than-usual elbow-scrape or deep cut.

Ideally, it should be small/light enough to conveniently fit in our gear, robust enough to get us through a single incident, and knowing our brothers and sisters have the same kit, we can confidently manage anything moderately worse until we get some help. Should also be cheap enough that we can afford to keep one in each kit we fly and have a few spares to hand out at club meetings if ever needed.

I’ll work on our local fire/rescue folks for donations. Let’s see what we can put together.

Anyone interested? Let’s discuss.

Good ideas. I too realized I didn’t have even a simple kit with me this weekend when it would have been helpful. Just as we all need continuing weather education, we also need continuing first aid ed refreshers. Both for our safety, and both for our community. My issue with first aid kits is they always seem to expire and need replacement, but maybe the (yearly?) continuing ed first aid refresher is the time for everyone to pull out their kits and refresh them as well, as needed. Or maybe repack time is time to also think about your first aid kit. Should be routine. Of course, anything that we fly with everyday, will need to be pretty small and light.

Good idea, Scott. Fixing an annual date for review and refresh makes a lot of sense. Like picking one day a year, easily remembered, to replace all the batteries in your in-home smoke detectors. Your birthday, Memorial Day, usually April 1 for me…

If we pick a date, I’d love to be part of the effort.

I would be up for a refresher course.

Suggest several of rolls of “coflex” wrap (stretchy tape). You can get it inexpensively at Murdochs. 2 inch wide by 5 yards is $2. They use this to hold the cotton swab when you donate blood. You can get it in colors and in an extra strength version. I prefer having a few rolls of regular coflex as that doesnt need scissors to cut.

It can be used to hold or make a bandage, or to help fasten a splint. Also is great for sprained ankles or to reduce chances of an ankle sprain. Can also hold items in place around arms or legs and makes a quick adjustable sling for shoulder injuries.

Another option regarding glucose tube are some packs of honey (it never goes bad).

A roll of duct tape. In addition to obvious uses, it works for pulling out cactus spines.

Perfect. Exactly the discussion I wanted to get started. Thanks JJ.

Haven’t heard back from my FD contacts yet. Will ping again today.