Inaugural Rocky Mountain Swifts Fly In!

EDIT: We will have a tip jug out at the bar to raise money to staff an ambulance barn in Villa Grove. The local EMT’s have been notified of our event, so let’s show them some appreciation and try to get this barn finalized!

This year, we will host the first women’s Fly In during the weekend of Sept 6-8 (boys also welcome!). The location will be Villa Grove, and hopefully the flying will be epic! Enjoy morning flights, evening glass offs, and midday lunch and learns. If the weather lines up, an unforgettable early morning flight off Mt. Princeton***! This is a casual fly in open to all USHPA rated pilots P2 and above. See below for details!

Send all questions to Lindsey Ripa at 972-765-5963 or lindseynripa@gmail.com.

Accomodation Options:

-Free Camping at Larry’s right by the landing zone

1. Port a Potty Available On Site
  2. Mini pizzas and outdoor bar

-San Luis Valley Campground (located 5 minutes from Villa Grove)

1. $22/night for 2 people, +$5/person after that. Each site could accommodate up to 6 people.
  2. Hot showers, wifi, fire rings, bathrooms

-Plenty of indoor accomodation in Poncha Springs or Salida

Tentative Itinerary

Friday September 6

8am - Meet in landing zone for site intro.
9:30am-Noon - Morning flights
1pm: Lunch at Larry’s
2pm: Ladies Meet: Goal setting, Mentorship, No Dumb Question Q&A
3-5pm: Free time/hot springs/tubing
5pm: Meet in LZ
5:30-Sundown: Evening flying

Saturday September 7

8am - Meet in landing zone for site intro.
1pm: Lunch at Larry’s and showing of Q&A with Lindsay Matush and Bianca Heinrich
2pm: Ladies Meet: How to Decipher Colorado Weather
Dinner and beer Provided at Larry’s

Sunday September 8

8am - Meet in landing zone
1pm: Lunch at Larry’s
2pm: Ladies Meet: Boulder and Lookout Thermal/XC Strategy

***Mt. Princeton call would be made on a day of basis.

1 Like

Also, if you want a shirt to support the Swifts, add your name here! Once I get a final headcount, I can come back on price. Don’t worry, I won’t come back with anything outrageous.

So excited! Thanks for coordinating, Lindsey!

Hey Lindsey! I’m out of the loop down here in the Springs. What are the Rocky Mountain Swifts? Sounds like a great thing.

Hey Abbey, long time no see! The Swifts are a brand new women’s group here in Colorado. I’ll send you invites to the group and the event :slight_smile:

There should be some good HG as well as PG flying for the Swifts fly in.

Also, note that Whale is a great early morning site that works many mornings when the valley flow comes from the SE. Often you can get an early flight in at Whale, soar until lunch, the head up Villa in the late afternoon. Whale is on the West side of the valley across from Villa. Another close option is the Salida mine site which is about a 700 ft walk up site, just a couple miles North of Salida. Several sites in the area.

JJ,

Sounds awesome! I am planning on coming out to Villa one of these weekend to get acquainted with the sites I don’t know and sort out other event logistics. I’ll be posting up in the group and hope to fly down there with y’all real soon!

I’ll be there most weekends, and if it is flyable for PG, Jeff B. will likely post up and fly. I usually fly my HG at Villa, but last week had a great morning flight there with my PG. This weekend is looking promising.

Mornings may also be good for an epic flight off of Whale, 12000 ft launch.
Beers at elevation brewery are Great. Sonnys food truck has great food at good prices. Try the green chili smothered burger. If it is not on the menu just ask for it and tell them you are a HG or PG flying at Villa.

Thanks, JJ! Ill be there this Sunday/Monday to fly and get all the beta. If you’re there, give a shout! Ill be around