Just moved to Arvada - Looking to fly

Hi Everyone,

I just moved to Arvada to attend CSM and have been flying in North Queensland for the past 2 years. Before that I was flying in Alaska, although the vast majority of my PG time has been in Oz. I flew mostly inland, thermic sites in Queensland. It seems pretty warm in Denver so I thought that flying would be on when the wind is right. Would someone be able to give me a site introduction for Lookout? I submitted my RMHPA application a week or two ago but haven’t received a response.

Cheers

Peter

Welcome Peter. We haven’t had many flyable days in the last few weeks, but usually we get a few decent days in January. You can look up sponsors under Site Guides / Lookout on the main RMHPA page, and those are the folks who would give you an intro. Feel free to give me a call if you want, I’m listed there.

Hi Peter. Half of the local pilots are off to Mexico or Colombia right now so don’t sweat it about the slow response you are getting. There will be a club meeting in Golden on Feb. 18th. If you can make it that would be a good time to introduce yourself and make some contacts. There should be an announcement going up on the forum soon I would guess.

Like Sam said, you aren’t missing much right now. The general rule of thumb for winter conditions along the Front Range is, if it is warm and sunny the wind is wrong. Keep your eye on the Whatsapp chats. If it gets good there will be a lot of chatter there and if it is flyable there will be sponsors on the hill.

-Jeff

Thank you Sam and Jeff. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Cheers

Peter