Radio Licensing

I know many don’t jump thru the hoops to get a radio license but I thought I would. What class of license do I apply for?

If you mean what test for a Ham radio license, you would take the “technician” test. That is the entry level Ham license. It gives you complete access to the Two Meter and several other bands. No need to learn Morse code or anything like that. This also allows you to use repeaters and many other things as well.

You can hunt around on the internet for some free test prep help, but here is a link for general test information.

The actual test is 35 questions and those 35 are taken from this complete set of questions.

BTW the test is offered usually once a month or so by local ham clubs. I think you need to pay $15 or similar, take the test, pass and then you have a license. Every 10 years or so you need to tell the FCC to renew your license (no additional testing needed). Pretty simple and easy.

Radio Licensing should be sticky so it is always on top.

Thanks, for the info!

interesting thread at

Here are the links I talked about at the meeting:

General Info

Free practice test exam sites. Try them and see which you like best. Select the Element 2 Technician test.

When and were a Ham Exam is available. Sort by date range and zip code or state.

As mentioned at the meeting, I took the 35-question sample test with no prior exposure or study and failed with a 50% score (70% is required to pass). With a little study I expect I could get through this one on my next attempt…

I took the sample tests from various sites over and over several times a week for about a month. Got 100% on the test and finished before everyone else. Some of the material I understood and actually use today, but much of it I don’t need. Going over and over the samples, I just recognized the right answer. The nice thing is once you get your license it is good for 10 years and then you just pay a renewal fee and they renew it for another 10 years. No more tests!

The radios are good for more than just flying. I’ve thrown mine in my pack when I go dirt bike riding or hiking for the last 10 years. This past Saturday I was riding my dirt bike coming down Whale Mountain on the road we use to get to launch. I stopped to move a branch, killed the engine and left it in first so it wouldn’t roll. Missed and got neutral. When I was getting off, the bike rolled forward and fell on my left leg and I heard and felt a pop along with a lot of pain. I managed to get underway again but was soon blocked by fallen trees. Cell phone signal was unusable so I called Larry Smith on the radio and he answered. Told him my situation, Veeger, Laura and Chopper One showed up. They got me and the bike home, I went to the hospital in the morning. I’ll be out of work, flying and riding for a while.
But I was really fu@#$%^ glad I had that radio with me because the phone wouldn’t work. I called Larry on 149.500. I have ham license so could have accessed repeaters if needed.

Mike, sorry to hear you will be out for a while. Heal up fast!

Radios are a great piece of emergency gear as you have just made crystal clear. I occasionally take mine hiking, but really should have it around anytime I’m heading out, off the beaten path and potentially outside of cell phone range.

If you already have a FCC Restricted Radio Operators License, do you need to do the Ham one, or are they the same?

Also check out “No nonsense Amateur technician class”, It’s another resource for tech class study prep. … _Guide.pdf